OPERATIONS - DISPATCH
- Execute the dispatch plan
- Dispatch all loads to the drivers
- Provide drivers with accurate information for picking up and dropping off loads
- Persuade drivers to take unappealing loads, to work off schedule, accommodate customer demands, etc.
- Inform drivers of procedures to be followed – e.g. incorrect address, wait times, etc.
- Manage the trailer pool
- Assign trailers
- Follow up on dropped trailers
- Close orders in Transportation Management System
- Follow standard operating procedures re transportation of goods, supporting documents, etc.
- Recommend changes to standard operating procedures in order to increase efficiencies on an ongoing basis and to provide corrective action
- Adhere to ISO standards
- This function is the main contact for the drivers
- Perform on-call services as per department policy
- Hours of Work and days off for General Holidays may be modified as relates to customer demand
- Monitor Hours of Service – advise supervisor when driver is nearing maximum hours
- Assist drivers with issues resolution – loads, equipment, deliveries timing, etc.
- Resource to drivers to resolve personal issues, such as absence, scheduling vacation, other time off, etc.
- Assist Administrators and driver regarding problems with paperwork, driver envelope information, etc.
- Assist Fleet Operations to coordinate contacting driver re: fleet maintenance or safety and compliance needs
- Advise Fleet Manager or Vice President re: need for disciplinary action
- Transportation Management System– critical to access and enter accurate and complete data - information is used by others
- Identify problem areas to Transportation Management System provider / Transportation Administrator
- Cross train in the various operational boards – Logistics, Local/PQ, USA, etc.
- Be prepared to provide coverage related to illness/vacation of other team members.
- Develop an effective working relationship with other Operations personnel
- Provide complete information when transitioning work to other dispatchers
CUSTOMER /INDUSTRY RELATIONS
- Develop and maintain business network of contacts
- Participate in industry associations, attend related conferences, etc.
COMPANY KNOWLEDGE AND MUTUAL SUPPORT
- Become knowledgeable about all Sylvite divisions and the products and services they provide to customers
- Demonstrate adherence to ISO standards and other best practices
- Documentation of all processes and tasks for which a function is responsible
- Demonstrate a high degree of service to and collaboration with other business units
- Provide support to other department members maintaining a sense of team
- Provide positive feedback to others when possible; coach others for success
- Recommend opportunities for improvement of processes and systems as a result of the function performed or based on observations
- Recommend opportunities for reducing costs
- Physical Effort: Normal
- Physical Environment: Normal
- Sensory Attention: High degree of attention to detail
- Mental Stress: Fast-paced working environment