Inventory and Purchasing Manager
We currently have an opening for the position of Inventory and Purchasing Manager for Sylvite Sales and Industrial based at our Burlington location. This position reports to the EVP and COO.
- Real-time management of fertilizer inventories for Sylvite Sales and Sylvite Industrial Chemicals.
- Ensure efficient placement of fertilizer products throughout network
- Provide regular inventory reports and verify physical quantities
- Ensure system reflects full-burdened inventory costs for decision-making and reporting
- Investigate variances between physical quantities and accounting records, manage shrink allowances and liaise with finance team to document inventory adjustments and write-offs
- Liaise with third party warehouses regarding periodic inventory counts of Sylvite product at their sites (i.e. Somavrac)
- Establish relationships with suppliers; follow-up with suppliers to resolve issues
- Track SIC customer contract commitments against actual shipped quantities and coordinate with GM and CSR’s to advise customers and handle pricing changes in system
Purchasing and Support
- Support the Director of Sales to conduct meetings with each Alliance group member to review prior year’s fertilizer usage and determine current inventory levels. Pro-rate each large purchase amongst Alliance group members, prepare vessel deal sheets.
- Evaluate domestic vs. imported pricing and all associated costs, i.e. freight costs for positioning of product, stevedoring, port costs, overtime rates, warehousing vs. customer pick up directly from ship
- Monitor warehouse rates, freight rates and all port information regarding costs
- Monitor inventories daily
- Follow-up on purchase orders/shipment confirmation
- Perform supplier reviews on a continual basis and as needed
Act as Business Unit Subject Matter Expert on Department Processes
- Represent the department on cross-functional teams for system developments and process reviews, quality audits as per industry standards
- Evaluate existing departmental processes for efficiency, effectiveness and controls. Make recommendations and work with other Sylvite Business Units to implement process improvements
- Be the departmental contact to coordinate, providing documentation to external auditors, regulators.
- Assist with updating of departmental product margin, cash flow and inventory usage forecasts.
Customer Service and Administration
- Supervise a team of 2-4 SSI/SIC customer service representatives and payables staff responsible for invoicing, product receipt and payables processing in financial reporting systems and execution of administration of above duties that are delegated to them.
- Ensure department processes are documented, train staff and ensure back up coverage of key department activities, including act as the representative in their absence.
Customer / Industry Relations
- Keep current with industry developments.
- Develop relationships with counterparts in other companies.
- Attend applicable association meetings.
Company Knowledge and Mutual Support
- Become knowledgeable about all Sylvite divisions and the products and services they provide to customers.
- Documentation of all processes and tasks for which a function is responsible.
- Demonstrate a high degree of service to and collaboration with other business units.
- Provide support to other department members maintaining a sense of team.
- Provide positive feedback to others when possible; coach others for success.
- Recommend opportunities for improvement of processes and systems as a result of the function performed or based on observations.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
Key Personal Attributes
- Demonstrated business acumen
- Highly customer focused; team player with strong relationship-building skills
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills; sound judgement
- Highly organized with very effective time management skills
- Ability to lead and motivate the team
- Demonstrate and promote strong customer focus
Education, Experience and/or Training Requirements
- Experience in bulk commodities preferred
- Advanced Proficiency in Excel
- 3-5 years Agriculture related experience
- 2-4 years supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture Science/Business or equivalent
- Driver’s license (occasional travel during seasonal peaks)
- Physical Effort: Normal
- Physical Environment: Normal
- Sensory Attention: Normal
- Mental Stress: Moderate Travel